Dorado is a constellation in the southern sky. It was named in the late 16th century and is now one of the 88 modern constellations. Its name refers to the dolphinfish (Coryphaena hippurus), which is known as dorado in Portuguese, although it has also been depicted as a swordfish. Dorado is notable for containing most of the Large Magellanic Cloud, the remainder being in the constellation Mensa. The South ecliptic pole also lies within this constellation.Even though the name Dorado is not Latin but Portuguese, astronomers give it the Latin genitive form Doradus when naming its stars; they are treating it (like the adjacent constellation Argo Navis) as if it were a feminine proper name of Greek origin ending in -ō (like Io or Callisto or Argo), names that have a genitive ending in -ūs. Its first depiction in a celestial atlas was in Johann Bayer's Uranometria of 1603 where it was also named Dorado. Dorado has been represented historically as a dolphinfish and a swordfish; the latter depiction is inaccurate. It has also been represented as a goldfish.
Deep Sky Objects
Because Dorado contains part of the Large Magellanic Cloud, it is rich in deep sky objects. The Large Magellanic Cloud, 1,000 light-years in diameter, is a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way, located at a distance of 179,000 light-years. It has been deformed by its gravitational interactions with the larger Milky Way. In 1987, it became host to SN 1987A, the first supernova of 1987 and the closest since 1604.This 25,000 light-year wide galaxy contains over 10,000 million stars. All coordinates given are for Epoch J2000.0.
- NGC 1566 is an intermediate spiral galaxy.NGC 1566 (RA 04h 20m 00s Dec -56° 56.3′) It gives its name to the NGC 1566 Group of galaxies.
- NGC 1755 (RA 04h 55m 13s Dec -68° 12.2′)
- NGC 1763 (RA 04h 56m 49s Dec -68° 24.5′) Skyview image is a bright nebula associated with three type B stars.NGC 1820 (RA 05h 04m 02s Dec -67° 15.9′) Skyview image is an open cluster.
- NGC 1850 (RA 05h 08m 44s Dec -68° 45.7′)
- NGC 1854 (RA 05h 09m 19s Dec -68° 50.8′)
- NGC 1869 (RA 05h 13m 56s Dec -67° 22.8′)
- NGC 1901 (RA 05h 18m 15s Dec -68° 26.2′)
- NGC 1910 (RA 05h 18m 43s Dec -69° 13.9′)
- NGC 1936 (RA 05h 22m 14s Dec -67° 58.7′) Skyview image is a bright nebula and is one of four NGC objects in close proximity, the others being NGC 1929, NGC 1934 and NGC 1935.
- NGC 1978 (RA 05h 28m 36s Dec -66° 14.0′)
- NGC 2002 (RA 05h 30m 17s Dec -66° 53.1′) .
- NGC 2027 (RA 05h 35m 00s Dec -66° 55.0′)
- NGC 2032 (RA 05h 35m 21s Dec -67° 34.1′) (Seagull Nebula) Skyview image is a nebula complex that contains four separate NGC designations:
- NGC 2029, NGC 2032, NGC 2035 and NGC 2040.NGC 2080, also called the "Ghost Head Nebula", is an emission nebula that is 50 light-years wide in the Large Magellanic Cloud. It is named for the two distinct white patches that it possesses, which are regions of recent star formation. The western portion is colored green from doubly-ionized oxygen, the southern portion is red from hydrogen alpha emissions, and the center region is colored yellow from both oxygen and hydrogen emissions. The western white patch, A1, has one massive, recently formed star inside. The eastern patch, A2, has several stars hidden in its dust.NGC 2070 is a nebula in the Large Magellanic Cloud, also known as the Tarantula Nebula and named for its spiderlike shape. It is also designated 30 Doradus, as it is visible to the naked eye as a slightly out-of-focus star. Larger than any nebula in the Milky Way at 1000 light-years in diameter, it is also brighter, because it is illuminated by a cluster of stars, R136. The illuminating stars are supergiants.
- NGC 2164 (RA 05h 58m 53s Dec -68° 30.9′)
- N44 is a superbubble in the Large Magellanic Cloud that is 1,000 light-years wide. Its overall structure is shaped by the 40 hot stars towards its center. Within the superbubble of N44 is a smaller bubble catalogued as N44F. It is approximately 35 light-years in diameter and is shaped by an incredibly hot star at its center, which has a stellar wind speed of 7 million kilometers per hour. N44F also features dust columns with probable star formation hidden inside.
The Mahi-mahi, Coryphaena hippurus, also known as dolphin-fish, dorado, or lampuki (in Maltese), are surface-dwelling ray-finned fish found in off-shore tropical and subtropical waters worldwide. The name 'mahi-mahi' ('strong-strong' in Hawaiian). When they are removed from the water, the fish often change between several colors, this being the reason for their name in Spanish Dorado Maverikos, finally fading to a muted yellow-grey upon death.  Dorado fish are also commonly known as maverikos; related to the English wordmaverick. The word maverick is an eponym, deriving from the name Samuel Augustus Maverick (1803-1870), an American cattleman who left the calves in his herd unbranded. In common usage a maverick is a rebellious person, especially a loner who opposes established rules. “'Treasury' (thesaurus) is named after the Greek term thesis, 'positing,' that is, 'deposit.' Thusthesis means 'positing,' and the term has combined a Greek with a Latin word, for the elementthes means 'deposit' in Greek, and Latin supplies aurum ('gold'), so that the word thesaurussounds like the combination 'gold deposit.' An auraria (i.e. a kind of tax; also a gold mine) takes its name from gold (aurum).” [The Etymologies of Isidore of Seville, 7th century AD, p.329.]
El Dorado or Eldorado (Spanish for 'the gilded one') is a metaphor applied to any place of fabulous wealth or inordinately great opportunity. El Dorado is a legendary city or historical region of the New World, somewhere in South America. El Dorado is a legend that began with the story of a South American tribal chief who covered himself with gold dust and would dive into a lake of pure mountain water. As the story was told and re-told, El Dorado came to be viewed as a city containing immense wealth, a legend that inspired many explorers from the 1500s on. According to Freyle, the king or chief priest of the Muisca was said to be ritually covered with gold dust at a religious festival held in Lake Guatavita, near present-day Bogotá. The story of El Dorado was embellished with accounts of his golden city, the mythical Manoa where even the cooking utensils were made of gold. Explorers and adventurers took off on the hunch that the city was located somewhere in the unexplored forests of the Amazon valley, and vanished into the jungle, scores never returning.
HGS Session References
HGS Sessions - Clearing Dorado, Leo Minor, Musca, Perseus constellations - 3/23/2015 
HGS Sessions - Clearing Germanwings Crash, French Alps - 3/24/2015 
- ↑ Constelllation of Words
- ↑ HGS Session
- ↑ HGS Session
Found in HGS Manual on Page 108
Found in HGS Manual on Page 115